[Verifpal] Needham-Schroeder protocol

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at symbolic.software
Tue Mar 17 22:21:27 CET 2020

Dear Friedrich,

Thank you very much for bringing the classic Needham-Schroeder case scenario into view.

I’ve modeled both symmetric and classical Needham Schroeder in Verifpal and added these models to the `example` folder in the master branch. I have some interesting things to remark here:

Symmetric Needham-Schroeder:
Verifpal currently does not detect replay attacks. This is a known limitation and is slated as a to-do item for this year. So indeed, there is nothing surprising here. However...

Public-Key Needham-Schroeder:
Gavin Lowe’s 1995 attack will only be detected if Alice and Bob’s keys are unguarded. I wonder if this is fair, and think it might not be. There should be a more intuitive way to capture that even if Alice and Bob communicate to each other with pre-authenticated public keys, it is still the case that Alice may in parallel set up a session with a compromised Carol, without this being explicitly written down in the model or unguarding Alice and Bob’s public keys (doing either will immediately reveal Gavin Lowe’s attack in current Verifpal versions.)

I think therefore that serious thought needs to be given as to whether we want to automatically capture and illustrate Gavin Lowe’s attack even if we have a model where Alice only talks to Bob and both their public keys are guarded. To me this is the real question that arises here from looking at Needham-Schroeder, and is more important than replay attack detection for the time being. Indeed it’s a fundamental question regarding the expectations we can impose on Verifpal’s eventual analysis given what is initially described in the model.