[Verifpal] SCM and Pipeline Changes

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at symbolic.software
Sun Mar 8 16:13:05 CET 2020

Hello everyone,

A quick procedural note.

Verifpal (and all other Symbolic Software projects) now uses the GitLab source forge, meaning that we’ve switched away from Gitea.

This move has been in my mind for a few weeks now. Reasons for switching away from Gitea:

    - GitLab’s CI/CD stack is integrated into GitLab.
    - GitLab’s CI/CD stack is superior to the independent Drone node we were running.
    - GitLab has a set of features that are favorable to development and that are not offered by Gitea.
    - GitLab appears to have a more well-enforced quality assurance posture regarding code commits to the open source GitLab CE project.

I’ve made sure to watch out so that this change does not break any existing SCM bindings for those who already have local Verifpal repositories, for the Homebrew, Scoop and Snapcraft releases, throughout the Verifpal web stack, etc. — this change should not result in any perceptible issues anywhere no matter how you interact with the Verifpal release pipeline or source code repository. As always, the Verifpal source code repository remains accessible at the same URI: https://source.symbolic.software/verifpal/verifpal

I do not foresee us switching SCMs again any time soon.

Hope you’re all having a nice weekend,